This section introduces the EvalPartners Advocacy toolkit that VOPEs could use to create support for evaluation in their context.
As the EvalPartners Advocacy toolkit indicates, VOPEs have a particular role to play in strengthening National Evaluation Systems. There are specific ways in which VOPEs support an enabling environment for evaluation, which include the following:
- Advocate for the use of evaluation evidence in policy development, implementation, and accountability.
- Work in partnership with governments and parliamentarians towards the establishment of national evaluation policies.
- Advocate for national evaluation policies that are equity-focused and gender-responsive.
- Work with governments to set evaluation standards as benchmarks to help persuade other stakeholders of the importance of upholding the evaluation principles.
- Foster indigenous demand and supply of evaluation – e.g. through networking, maintaining a roster of evaluation consultants, etc.
- Provide advice to evaluation commissioners when planning evaluations – e.g. advice on the development of the Terms of Reference for evaluations, including choices of appropriate design and methodology to answer key questions.
- Promote the capacity of evaluators to perform quality, credible and useful evaluations – e.g. offering evaluation capacity-building events, or advertising those occurring through a third party.
- Conduct independent research, monitoring and evaluation to validate national statistics provided by the authorities.
- Develop tripartite partnerships with the UN system, government and civil society.
- Building networking and a vibrant community for evaluation: represent evaluation at appropriate conferences and related forums; establish an online presence with a website; host virtual as well as live in-person evaluation forums and events.
- Mobilize resources otherwise not available for the purpose of evaluation from within the national budgets.
- Create evaluation awareness among journalists by engaging media in the process of advocacy for evaluation.